Understanding citation Counts

Hello all,

I have been keeping an eye on this intriguing work of PID Graph. It’s a very cool idea. However, I am somewhat puzzled about how citation counts are computed, and I thought I’d better ask. If I understand, correctly citation counts are a function of the number of relations, of a specific type, in the DOI metadata.
Below there is a query for three DOIs, all of them with at least one an IsCitedBy relation, which would lead me to believe that all of them would have at least one citation count. However, the PID Graph citation computation does not match that assumption. Is there something I am not grasping correctly?

{
 works(ids:["10.1594/wdcc/cops_rsdu_imkfixrs","10.5439/1025143","10.4125/pd0015th"]){
nodes{
  id
  citationCount
  referenceCount
  relatedIdentifiers{
    relatedIdentifierType
    relationType
  }
}
}
}

Thanks for the effort

Simon

Simon,

your assumptions are correct. Unfortunately we have an issue with the internal processing of data, which uses the Crossref/DataCite Event Data service. We are working on this and should have it fixed in the next few weeks. I opened a GitHub issue that you can follow: https://github.com/datacite/lupo/issues/679

1 Like

Thank you Martin,

I look forward to see the fix implemented. Once the counts are consistent we can probably consider a nice integration.

I appreciate it

Simon