Privacy statement PIDforum
The PIDforum, https://www.pidforum.org/, is a global information and discussion platform about persistent identifiers (PIDs) hosted by the National Information Standards Organization (NISO).
NISO is aware of its responsibility when processing personal data. NISO wants every person whose personal data it processes to be confident that this is done in a careful and lawful manner. NISO processes personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the privacy rules arising from it.
This privacy statement shows how your personal data is processed by NISO. NISO is legally required to process personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the privacy rules arising from it.
Which personal data is recorded by NISO?
NISO processes any personal data from you that you provide through using the PIDforum. NISO collects personal data from you when you register on the PIDforum and gather data when you participate in the forum by reading, writing, and evaluating the content shared here.
When registering on the PIDforum, you may be asked to enter your name and e-mail address. You may, however, visit our site without registering. Your e-mail address will be verified by an email containing a unique link. If that link is visited, NISO knows that you control the e-mail address.
When registered and posting, NISO records the IP address that the post originated from. NISO also may retain server logs which include the IP address of every request to the NISO server.
On what basis does NISO process personal data?
Processing your personal data is essential for implementing the agreement NISO has made with you. You entered into an agreement with NISO by agreeing to the PIDforum Terms of Service upon registration. This contract allows NISO to manage your personal data in relation to the use of the PIDforum.
NISO processes your personal data in the first instance for the purpose of maintaining and managing the PIDforum.
NISO may use your processed personal data in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience — your personal data helps NISO to better respond to your individual needs.
- To improve the PIDforum — NISO continually strives to improve our site offerings based on the information and feedback NISO receives from you.
- To improve customer service — your personal data helps NISO to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs.
- To send periodic emails — The email address you provide may be used to send you information, notifications that you request about changes to topics or in response to your user name, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
Securing your personal data
NISO secures your personal data to prevent misuse or unauthorised access to your personal data.
Retention period for your personal data
In principle, your personal data are not retained any longer than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which the personal data are collected.
NISO will make a good faith effort to:
- Retain server logs containing the IP address of all requests to this server no more than 90 days.
- Retain the IP addresses associated with registered users and their posts no more than 5 years.
Disclosure to third parties
NISO will only disclose your personal data to third parties if there is a legal obligation or basis to do so as referred to in Section 6 GDPR.
When NISO discloses your data to a third party, it will safeguard your rights to privacy, among other things by concluding a processing agreement in which arrangements are made as to how your personal data must be dealt with.
Third party websites
This statement is not applicable to websites of third parties that are connected to our website by means of links. NISO advises you to go through the privacy statements of these third parties thoroughly.
Exercising your privacy rights
You can submit a request to NISO to exercise the following rights:
- Right to access your personal data
- Right to rectify and/or add to your personal data
- Right to erasure of your personal data
- Right to restrict the processing of your personal data
- Right to data portability
- Right of objection
- Right not to be subjected to a decision based exclusively on automated processing, including profiling.
Data protection officer
Should you have any questions and/or complaints about the safeguarding of your privacy within NISO, please contact us at email@example.com
Personal Data Authority
NISO will work with you to find a solution if you have a complaint regarding the processing of your personal data. If this does not lead to a satisfactory result, you have the right under the GDPR to submit a complaint to the Personal Data Authority.
Changes to this privacy statement
NISO may change this privacy statement. Any changes will be published on the NISO website. Changes made to this privacy statement will never be in violation of the GDPR and the privacy rules arising from it. If NISO decides to change the privacy statement, a new version is posted on this page.
NISO’ contact details are available online.
Entry into force
This privacy statement entered into force on January 20, 2021.