Tracing/relocating misplaced cultural artefacts

From @ChrisVFerg on Mon Oct 29 2018 13:55:43 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Here’s an interesting user story was collected at the DI4R workshop from Olivia Kaiser Vienna University Library olivia.kaiser@univie.ac.at

As a provenance researcher for Nazi-looted books, I wish for PIDs for stamps, exlibris, autographs, place of looting, place of storage. Could help to find objects of a former owner/collection which was torn apart by Nazi looting.

Copied from original issue: https://github.com/datacite/freya/issues/91

1 Like

The IGSN is a PID for physical samples used to trace samples and related subsamples through their lifetime from collection to laboratory analysis, to publication, to repository, to re-use. It would be interesting to explore if the concept of the IGSN would work for cultural artifacts. The RDA IG for ‘Physical Samples and Collections in the Research Data Ecosystem’ is really looking for use cases like yours.

I find this user story really fascinating. I have heard similar requirements from some other cultural institutions too. I’ve heard that metadata requirements can be very variable across institutions and sub disciplines.
The British Library is looking into expanding their use of PIDs for their collections so I would be really interested in seeing how IGSN might be applied for these sorts of use cases too.