Schema.org & PIDs (ORCID & ROR)

Hi all,
this question concerns the inclusion of PIDs in the metadata markup of Landing Pages, e.g. using the popular schema.org, which provides a means to describe the semantics of page content.
As far as I am aware, “@id” is the first choice among repositories including the ORCID in schema.org (see e.g. this randomly selected example from Zenodo: https://zenodo.org/record/3597529/export/schemaorg_jsonld)

Is there a good practice/official recommendation to include ORCID and ROR in schema.org other than using the general “@id”?
Maybe there are talks going on to between ROR/ORCID/DataCite/others with schema.org ?
Any thoughts/updates on a possible extension to http://schema.org/Person ?

Thanks!

3 Likes

@mhfenner @Helena @daslerr Any thoughts?

Hi Akraft

ORCID currently supports JSON-LD via content negotiation. Meaning that if you have an ORCID iD you can pull the schema.org metadata straight from the identifier URI. Our content negotiation docs are at https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/blob/master/CONTENT_NEGOTIATION.md

We encountered some small issues implementing schema.org. Mainly that a work can have an author, but an author cannot have a work, which from an ORCID perspective is somewhat back-to-front. We did try to reach out to schema.org but didn’t get far and in the end overcome them using a JSON-LD ‘trick’ of inverse relationships. It’s not ideal, but it works.

We are considering embedding schema.org into our public landing pages. But we do not have a good idea of how this will be used, or the use cases for using it as it’s read anonymously. You can see the card on our roadmap here: https://trello.com/c/iIcOLtAE/51-hidden-trial-very-simple-embedded-schemaorg-on-public-pages-5

I’d suggest that our current record format is pretty close to best practice for representing a scholar, and we did work with linked data folks when designing it, but I’d be happy to stand corrected. Personally, I’d rather not diverge/extend the regular schema without some strong use cases to back it up.

I know Datacite support JSON-LD and we worked with them when we put our own in place. I’m sure they will have something more to say on the matter.

Tom Demeranville
ORCID Product Director.

Hi all,

Apologies for bumping an old comment thread, but I am also curious about the mapping of ROR-IDs metadata to schema.org. Are there any recommendations or standards mapping out there? is it ResearchOrganisation the preferred type?

Cheers,

Rupert

1 Like

Thanks Rupert, I think the new ROR technical community manager @amandafrench may be able to help (or know someone who can!)

2 Likes

Sorry for late reply! I was out for the holiday weekend plus an extra day. Thanks for flagging me, @alicemeadows.

It’d be good to hear more about any projects / systems you’re involved with, @Rupert_Hawtrey, so I can understand more about what you’re asking, but here are some initial thoughts. If you’re currently using schema.org and are asking whether ResearchOrganisation is the preferred element to map to a ROR ID, I’m certainly no expert on schema.org, but I’d say that looks right.

If you’re not already using organizational identifiers of any kind and are wondering whether to use schema.org’s ResearchOrganisation or ROR IDs, I’d say that depends entirely on your own systems and circumstances – but I do think ROR is emerging as the preferred open identifier for the specific use case of identifying researcher affiliations with publishers, funders, and employers. I of course may be biased.

If you’re thinking about using ROR but wondering whether you can map that to schema.org’s ResearchOrganisation, I’d have to look into that more. I can tell you that ROR IDs already map to GRID IDs, Wikidata, ISNI, and Crossref Funder IDs. See for example Research Organization Registry (ROR) Search There might be a way to crosswalk ROR > schema using one of those identifiers as an intermediary: not sure.

Exploring various identifier mappings is part of my brief for the next year, certainly, so if you think it would be valuable to add schema.org identifiers to ROR you could submit a feature request as an issue on our roadmap: Issues · ror-community/ror-roadmap · GitHub

Hope that helps! Are you currently using schema.org, @Rupert_Hawtrey?

1 Like