Predatory PIDs?

Hi everyone,

Since I am still fairly new to the PID business, I was wondering, whether anyone else has already come across this page here: What is EOI ??
When you open a random paper from their page, it then says “EOI/DOI” on the landing page (e.g. Mobile Technology in Management of Field-Based Learning in Geography: An Analysis of NIEmGeo Citefactor.org-Journal|Research Paper|Indexing|Impact factor). Curious to hear, what you think of this.

Thanks a lot already in advance!

1 Like

Tagging @Jonathan_DOI here as he may be able to help

Hi @eharder I have not seen this before, thanks for sharing. It looks to me like the company - Citefactor - is issuing DOIs but badging them as EOIs which they are selling as a unique and much needed product that you can only get from them. The EOI badge looks like a merge between ORCID and DOI logo’s. I’m not sure if this is the right interpretation but it looks very dodgy to me.
Natasha

1 Like

I agree - this looks shady. I have never heard of anyone using the term “EOI” – it seems to just be a term that “CiteFactor” made up but they are really talking about DOIs? My guess is they are trying to get researchers to buy DOIs from them but they are just calling them EOIs? In any case, when I looked into this myself, from what I can tell CiteFactor is a scam. For example:

1 Like

Hi @NatashaS, thanks a lot for your opinion on this!

Thank you very much for your opinion and additional research on this, @sheila.rabun!

Hi,

new year, new shady PID websites… Our team has come across another one here: Digital Library :: Digital Online Identifier-Database System. They also talk about a “DOIJIF”, which seems to be some kind of impact factor, but they do not provide more detail on it.
Is the DOI Foundation looking into pages like this one, does anyone know?

Thanks for flagging another potential predatory PID - yikes! I’m tagging @Jonathan_DOI of the DOI Foundation, as well as @DataCite_admin and @Gin (Crossref) in case they know anything about this one.

Thanks a lot, dear @alicemeadows!

1 Like