Including heritage literature in repositories

From @ChrisVFerg on Wed Oct 17 2018 14:31:12 GMT+0000 (UTC)

As the Manager of the Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL) in Australia, I want to see DOIs applied to the world’s biodiversity heritage literature so that this literature can be part of the great linked network of scholarly research (the DOI system).

… I also want to work with the global DOI community to ensure that the DOIs for out-of-copyright literature are #OpenAccess (& do not resolve to versions behind paywalls)

Ambassador Webinar 16 Oct 2018

Copied from original issue: https://github.com/datacite/freya/issues/90

1 Like

This is the User Story I contributed to the FREYA webinar on 15 October. If anyone wants more detail/information (or can help!) please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

2 Likes

Hi Nicole,
The news in this tweet made me think of your recent talk at PIDapalooza2019 & user stories above on the problems you’ve encountered with assigning DOIs to out-of-copyright materials.
I wonder what the Wellcome Trust is doing about this legacy literature they have made available through PMC & Europe PMC - there only seem to have PMIDs and PMCIDs assigned. Is it worth reaching out to them to see what/if there are any synergies?
Christine