Google Scholar & DataCite DOIs

Does anyone know what the current status of DataCite DOIs & Google Scholar is? Specifically: will anything assigned a DataCite DOI be indexed and discoverable in Scholar searches without further work? Or is Scholar only indexing known repositories, and picking up DOIs incidentally as part of the metadata it harvests?

I know that the indexing for Google Dataset Search is separate and definitely picks up anything where resourceTypeGeneral is set to Dataset (but nothing else). I just tried searching and couldn’t find any obvious similar information for Google Scholar.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for asking this question, Jez. This would be a very useful thing to know. I hope someone has an answer.

1 Like

@jezcope @amyhodge We’re not aware of datasets being integrated into Scholar, however, it came up as a future possibility during Natasha Noy’s webinar back in 2018 Google Dataset Search Webinar - everything you always wanted to know about Google Dataset Search . Looking into whether there’s any progress/news and will keep you posted.

1 Like

Hi @jezcope, @amyhodge and @lizkrz,

In the context of tracking citations to software that is deposited most oftenly on Zenodo (where it gets a DataCite DOI), I’d also be interested to hear if there is any progress or news about this.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @sdruskat! To be quite honest, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for this. I’m sure you’re aware that GScholar is maintained by a tiny team at Google which could be disbanded and moved to other projects at any time. I think any progress on this is something we would want to pursue as a community separately from the big G!

Jez

Hi @jezcope! Thanks, I’ve only recently (after my post) been made aware of the volatility of the GScholar project within Google itself. I wholeheartedly agree that we’d want to solve this as a community, but was interested in if/how we can work with GScholar during a transition phase (where lots of people still use Scholar). I guess I’ll put a lid on this idea now :wink:.