Full API support for DataCite Metadata Schema 4.4

:partying_face: Hurray, as of today, all DataCite APIs include full support for the metadata schema version 4.4 (e.g. the RelatedItem property & the relationType IsPublishedIn.)

Read more in the blog post by @KellyStathis & Mike Bennett :point_down:

1 Like

Hi @KellyStathis @paul.vierkant

I just wanted to reach out about an issue I noticed while working with the REST API. It looks like some of the payload attributes that are supposed to be required aren’t being validated when the payload is submitted. For example in the metadata of 10.34865/AM744043E7_4OR I didn’t include titles for relatedItem (I have now corrected the metadata) and we were able to create a DOI. While it might not seem like a big deal, I’m worried it could cause some issues downstream. In the past, mandatory attributes have always had presence checks, so I’m guessing this is just a mistake.

Could you please take a look at this and make sure the necessary check is in place with the REST API? It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sofia

1 Like

Hi @SofiSmith, thank you for letting us know! We are looking into the validation for title.

Did you notice any other fields that are not validated correctly? You can email us at support@datacite.org with any details, if there are other fields.

Hi @KellyStathis, just wanted to let you know that I came across another field that ain’t gettin’ the proper validation love in REST. Specifically, under relatedItem, the ContributorType attribute is missing some presence checks. Can you let me know if there’s any other info you need from me to get this sorted out?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks @SofiSmith! I checked with our technical team and contributorType is a known issue: ContributorType ContributorName have no validation for presence · Issue #1679 · datacite/datacite · GitHub. We have also created a ticket for the Title field here: It's possible to send RelatedItem objects missing the required Title field · Issue #1709 · datacite/datacite · GitHub. You can follow these on GitHub for updates.

Please let us know if you notice anything else! Really appreciate you reporting this.

1 Like

@KellyStathis, I hope you’re doing well! It’s been a couple of months since I reported the issue with the ContributorType attribute missing presence checks in the REST API.
I haven’t seen any updates on GitHub and I was wondering if you could kindly provide an update on the status of this issue.
If there’s anything I can do to help move this forward, please don’t hesitate to let me know. I appreciate your help and attention to this matter.
Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Hi @SofiSmith, thanks for following up! We are are aware of these issues with RelatedItem Title and contributorType and will continue to address bugs like this as resourcing permits. Let us know if there’s any support we can provide in the interim.

Hello there, I recently came across @SofiSmith message and I wanted to thank her for bringing up the issue with the missing presence checks in the relatedItem attribute of the REST API.

I am not very familiar with all the API and I would like to know if there is any way for me to check if we have submitted all the necessary metadata for the fields that do not have a presence check. @KellyStathis , could you please advise us on this matter?

Thank you kindly.

1 Like

Hi @Rupert_Hawtrey, good question. I don’t think this can be done automatically because the issue for the RelatedItem property Title is in the XSD, not the REST API; therefore, the metadata will pass validation against the XSD.

We generally encourage reviewing the metadata schema documentation if you have questions about which fields are required. If you notice any other case where it is possible to submit metadata that is missing a required field, please let us know, either on this thread or by emailing support@datacite.org.

@KellyStathis Maybe I didn’t explain myself correctly. I would appreciate it if you could clarify if there is a way to retrieve a list of the metadata deposits that might be affected (missing ContributorType or title under the relatedItem). Specifically, I am interested in checking if we have submitted all the required metadata for the fields that do not have a presence check.

1 Like

@Rupert_Hawtrey Thank you for clarifying! Yes, for each property, you can construct a query to check for missing values:

• Related item contributor name: https://api.datacite.org/dois?query=relatedItems.contributors.name:""

• Related item contributor type: https://api.datacite.org/dois?query=relatedItems.contributors.contributorType:""

• Related item title: https://api.datacite.org/dois?query=relatedItems.titles.title:""

If you want to make these specific to your repository, you can add &client-id=<your repository account ID> to the end of the request. However, so far there are no records missing these values in any repositories.