Datacite's DOI for Journal articles : examples and use cases

Hello,

I’m looking for examples and use cases of institutions who have been using Datacite’s DOI for identifying dataset AND journal papers.
I would specifically like to know :

1. if Datacite’s DOIs attributed to journal papers are harvested and displayed in scholar search engine and used for research metrics,
  2. How acute Datacite’s DOIs can be to describe journal papers, specifically when these papers or their journals can be complex (different version, change of journal title, etc.)

Thanking you in advance,

R. Lapôtre

Thanks for this - I’m tagging @KellyStathis who I hope can help you, or will know who can (thanks Kelly!)

Thank you very much !

Thanks for this! Great questions - this is something we’ve started to support recently; we added more publication resource types in schema 4.4, including a new resourceTypeGeneral for JournalArticle.

1. Many harvesters who harvest DataCite metadata focus on non-article outputs and resources, so it depends! Our services align with a deposit workflow rather than a publication workflow, whereas Crossref has specific services for publications. That said, you can register DOIs for any type of research output with DataCite, and some harvesters include all DataCite DOIs (regardless of resource type).

2. You can see examples of the JournalArticle type in DataCite Commons or using our REST API (https://api.datacite.org/dois?resource-type-id=journal-article). There are likely some journal articles with type Text, because the JournalArticle type was only introduced in 4.4.

In schema 4.4 we also introduced the RelatedItem property and the relationType “IsPublishedIn”, which can be used to describe the journal a paper is published in. We’re working on clarifying the guidance for RelatedItem for version 4.5—you can preview that guidance (and leave feedback) through October 31: Using RelatedItem for publication information and related resources.

As for more complex cases, you can include versioning in DataCite metadata. For a previous journal title, I might recommend repeating the title sub-property of RelatedItem (20.3). Happy to look at specific scenarios as well.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your answer, which already proved to be very useful for us.

Best regards,

R. Lapôtre