Connected efforts / communities

Hi all,

after PIDapalooza I wondered what the relationship might be of the FREYA PID graph with the CERIF ontology, as it seemed to me that there was quite some overlap with the work the Research Information Management / CRIS community has been doing for quite a while now, if not with the same set of use cases in mind perhaps.

The FREYA team answered immediately by clarifying that there is some communication with euroCRIS about this, but also clearly a need to clarify and explore some of the connections to other projects. They mentioned a BoF session at the next RDA on the Research Graph where they intend to share more.

They also asked me to post this here in case this is of wider interest. I take this as an opportunity to start a thread concerning cooperation between communities that may or may not be well aware of each other. Which communities are not yet represented at PIDapalooza, or in PID thinking?

You may also have seen this blogpost, suggesting

I think we should be building a wider community of practice around use of identifiers in different contexts, and I think pidapalooza could become a great venue to do that.

I could not agree more. So which communities are there, out there, for us to invite and/or connect with?

Annette

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: During the PID Forum session at PIDapalooza we also discussed which communities to involve and how to reach them. Several members of the audience suggested developers, data scientists or data science training initiatives such as the Carpentries. These might be not be that well represented in the PIDapalooza community yet (What do the PIDapalooza organisers think? @Trisha @Gin) so could be interesting groups to involve. We’re also planning to engage with the RDA community, which of course includes various groups working with PIDs.

We’ve recently started Scholtech.org, an open collective tasked with amplifying the voice of indie entrepreneurs who build technological solutions that support the scholarly ecosystem.

Our first project is to organize webinars for indie scholtech entrepreneurs to present their companies/products/services. Every scholtech project relies on PIDs in one way or another, so I hope these webinars will become a new venue to discuss PIDs and make sure up-and-coming tools follow best practices.